Nicotine replacement therapy (NRT) is licensed treatment which can provide you with the nicotine (the addictive chemical in cigarettes and tobacco) that you get from smoking but with none of the poisonous chemicals. NRT is available free of charge during pregnancy for women who are seeing a stop smoking advisor.
NRT products range from patches, which you use daily by putting directly onto your skin, to oral products like inhalators, mouth sprays and gum, which can be used each time you have a craving. The strength of the NRT that you use can be slowly reduced until your body is used to a minimal level and then it will be easier to stop using NRT altogether.
- Patch - Used on skin. Provides a steady dose of nicotine through the day. Discreet and easy to use.
- Mouthspray - Provides quick relief for cravings. Good for using first thing in the morning, spray into side of mouth.
- Inhalator - Used like a cigarette (hand-to-mouth action). Good for using if you're out with other smokers or to replace routine cigarettes and gradually reduce use. Can be used throughout the day.
- Gum - Available in different strengths and flavours. Can be used throughout the day.
- Lozenge - The nicotine from the lozenge is absorbed through the lining of the mouth so the lozenge should not be chewed or swallowed whole. Try not eat or drink while the lozenge is in the mouth. You can use up to 12 lozenges a day.
Using NRT is much safer for you and your baby than smoking tobacco and can be used as a short-term aid to stopping smoking. We can talk you through the options, see what’s likely to be best for you and advise you on how to best use the products. For example, we would recommend the use of a 16 hour patch rather than a 24 hour patch as it will give your body a break from nicotine overnight when you normally wouldn’t smoke. If you are using any NRT products then you should not smoke tobacco in any form as having more nicotine than your body is used to is likely to make you feel sick and light-headed.
Once you are used to using your products we will then help you to reduce the amount and strength of the NRT you are using gradually until you are confident in remaining a non-smoker and no longer need to use any NRT.
Call or text the team on 07917 227 004
Standard network charges will apply, if you prefer you can text us and we can call you back.